Thursday, May 15, 2008

Where Bowers of Flowers Bloom in the Spring!

California's top court overturns ban on gay marriage

And then a little of my faith in my state is restored.

Now we just have to vote down the new proposed ban (this time in the form of a constitutional amendment) in November. Or hope it doesn't get on the ballot in the first place.

(Subject line from the song, "California, Here I Come," which is, I now find, NOT our official state song. Alas!)

California, here I come--right back where I started from
Where Bowers of flowers bloom in the spring
Each morning at dawning, birdies sing an' everything
A sunkist miss said, "Don't be late"--that's why I can hardly wait
Open up that Golden Gate,
California, here I come!

2 comments:

Bobo the Wandering Pallbearer said...

Wow. That is sooooooo weird. (Not the gay marriage thing.) I have been mis-reading that lyric my whole life. I have always heard it this way:

"A sun kissed mist says 'Don't be late'
That's why I can hardly wait
So open up that Golden Gate--
California, here I come!"

Which, of course, then I get the image of the Golden Gate bridge, shrouded in mist and fog, with the rising sun tinging the whole thing that specific shade of rose-gold you will never find anywhere else in the world.

So, see, it makes sense. If you're me, that is.

Lulu--Back in Town said...

No, that makes good sense! I like that. But, being a Californian sunkist miss, self, I like the original a lot, too. ;)